Export Assistance Tools
California has a network of export and industry specialists located throughout the state. Please visit their respective websites to learn more about the export-focused services offered in each region.
These tools are designed to help businesses with a variety of export-related needs, from identifying suitable export markets to financing international transactions, and can be utilized by any business looking for export assistance.
- Export Solutions
A resource from the International Trade Administration with informational guides, upcoming events, and other tools that can help businesses initiate or expand their export activities.
- A Basic Guide to Exporting
A guide created by the US Commercial Service to help businesses identify ideal markets, develop an export plan, finance export transactions, handle orders and shipments, and locate sources of free or low-cost export counseling.
- Trade Tools for International Sales
A resource from the Small Business Administration’s (SBA) Office of International Trade that helps businesses identify ideal markets, develop an export plan, find export finance programs, learn about applicable laws and regulations, and build a COVID-19 pandemic recovery plan.
- Tools for Exporters
Information in this resource from the Export-Import Bank of the United States (EXIM) includes locators for insurance broker locators, working capital lenders, and Regional Export Promotion Program (REPP) members, as well as guides to country limitation schedules, exposure fees, claims processing, credit administration, and commercial interest rates.
U.S. Commercial Service
The U.S. Commercial Service consists of a global network of experienced trade professionals both within the United States and in U.S. Embassies and Consulates Worldwide. They offer expertise through their regional Export Assistance Centers, which work to connect U.S. businesses to lucrative opportunities and increase their bottom line.
U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
SBA’s District Offices are responsible for providing tools for enhancing and growing small businesses. These offices also oversee the delivery of SBA programs within their respective regions.
The Export-Import Bank of the United States (EXIM)
EXIM is the official export credit agency of the United States, and as such provides a variety of helpful resources for exporting businesses. Visit their website for a list of regional directors, including their contact information and the California counties for which they are responsible:
District Export Council
In partnership with the US Commercial Service, District Export Councils deliver workshops and seminars on exporting. They also assist local businesses with counseling services, identifying export financing sources, and building export assistance partnerships.
World Trade Centers
World Trade Center staff provide direct assistance to businesses from various California regions in order to help them achieve success in their exporting activities.
Small Business Development Centers (SBDCs)
Contact your local SBDC for no-cost business consulting and low-cost business training.
California is a destination for students from around the world to study at some of the best universities in the country. Public and private universities throughout the state encourage international students to apply.
1. The “Get Ready to Export“ Video Set:
4. The “Get Paid and Finance Your Export Transactions” Video Set:
More helpful videos:
- The “Protecting Your IP Abroad” Video
- The “Business Travel Abroad” Video
- The “Export Compliance Program (ECP)” Video: This video presents the elements of an effective export compliance program for the Export Administration Regulations, administered and enforced by the Bureau of Industry and Security.
- Steps to Create a Globalized Website: This article provides the first steps towards creating a globalized website for online international sales and business.
- Website Internationalization: An overview of how to internationalize your website.
- Your Company Website: An overview of the different kinds of websites and the advantages of using your own company website.
- Global Go: Sacramento Centers for International Trade Development’s video channel
- Asian Development Bank Contracting Opportunity: Urban Development and Water Management(August 11, 2020)
- USTR: USMCA Presentation (August 12, 2020)
- Asian Development Bank: Energy & Transportation (August 19, 2020)
- Asian Development Bank Contracting Opportunity: Healthcare (August 25, 2020)
- USMCA SME Webinar (October 15, 2020)